Get connected with great training opportunities and learn about inspiring entrepreneurs. It's all here.
Self Employment Program
The Self Employment Program is funded by the Province of British Columbia and is designed for individuals who require ongoing financial and personal support while developing and implementing their business plan. The program offers business management training and counseling for new entrepreneurs and provides financial support for up to 48 weeks. The Self-Employment Program is offered by some Community Futures offices in BC. Contact your local Community Futures office to enquire whether they offer the program.
Eligibility for the Self-Employment program includes:
- be currently on Employment Insurance (EI) or have had an EI claim in the past three years or a parental claim in the past five years
- be unemployed or underemployed
- want to start a “new to you” business
- have a controlling interest in the business
- be legally entitled to work in Canada
- propose a business concept that would be suitable for public funding – the business concept must be legal and not exploiting sex, politics or religion
- have completed the Self Employment Program Orientation
- plan to work full time (minimum of 35 hrs/wk) in your business
The Self-Employment Program does not provide start up financing. Individuals requiring a business loan to start their business are referred to the Community Futures Loans Officer and other financial institutions. To learn more about the Self-Employment Program please visit WorkBC Contact your local Community Futures Office to learn what services they provide.